Monday, October 29, 2012

To Write or Not To Write...

that is the question I've been asking myself.

I have been looking up independent pattern companies just to see what's out there and maybe pick up tips from the designer's blog. One of the companies I came cross is a christian one with modern designs and prints.  Their stuff was okay.  I really like the long pleated skirt they offered.  My point to this is to, well... say a few words on modesty.

First, I thought about creating modest patterns.  Then I realized that, you can find modest patterns out there.  The #1 issue is wheather your a size 10 trying to fit in a size 8 (that would most likely be a size 14 and 12 in a pattern).  I have to tell almost everyone I sew for, to give me their REAL measurements.  Not the ones they wish the tape measure was saying they were.

Second, No, you don't have to  be frumpy and unattractive.  However, if you are being attractive, what are you  attracting to?  A man shouldn't have to be embarrassed (yes, I said embarrassed) to look at you.  And vise versa.  I have been embarrassed to look at some men because something they wore caused my attention to be drawn to things it shouldn't be and that IS embarrassing. Shamefaced  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/shamefaced

Third, which should be listed first.  Where is The Spirit?  The Holy Spirit, to convict you when you are unsure.  Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." I choose this verse to say, listen to the Lord in these matters, exalt him in obedience! exalt him with respect and dignity!

Fourth, no one is perfect and we all contend with the flesh. At times we think well this really isn't that bad.  I'm just being too picky.  Ex., if my skirts are at my knees then they will go a little shorter.  So the higher my standard (or in this case the lower :), the better off I am.  As a rule of thumb my girls and I wear our skirts/dresses to our ankles.  Isaiah 47:2 "Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.  Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man."  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/leg

Also, a word on beauty...

I love my husband dearly and he tells me the most ridiculous things about myself, which I would love to repeat, but it might embarrass him.  So I'll just tell you a few truths drawn from his words.

1.  Godly men like godly women, not worldly looking women. I Timothy 2:9
2.  A husband finds his wife attractive or he wouldn't have married her.
3.  Attitude matters more than physical beauty (see #1 & #2). I Timothy 2:10
4.  Don't worry about those stretch marks and C-section scars! A husband works and gets all kinds of  
     scars, we find those attractive don't we?  Women have babies and get all kinds of scars, lol.
5.  A wife is to be a help meet ( that is help: to aid; to assist; ect., meet: fit; suitable; proper), not a bitter,
     complaining woman. Yikes! But truth.
6.  Hollywood has no idea what real beauty is wheather inward or outward.

* All scripture quotes are form the King James Bible -   "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."  2 Timorthy 3:16 & 17

This is by no means an all inclusive study.  It is food for thought for the christian, based on biblical principles.

Thank you for reading my thoughts :).



No comments: